Sunday, August 5, 2007

Could you do it?

I attended Ward Council today. Mike got called in to help with an office move this morning. So, he left before church and amazingly enough...the kids and I made it on time (8:30am!). I had to sub jr. Primary chorister and teach Sunbeams today (with Brandon because he wouldn't go to nursery)...then go to Ward Council. I'm a little worn out this afternoon....ok, totally off the subject. Anyway, we were discussing some goals for the ward and had a discussion on emergency preparedness. Trying to come up with ways to give people a little wake-up call and see what could be done to get those in the ward prepared.

One guy said in their old ward, the bishopbric showed up on the doorstep of 10 families one Sunday and said, ok, we want you to live off your food storage for one month. No going to the store at all! Then, they reported their experiences in Sacrament meeting a month later. I got a little pit in my stomach! We have enough food for a month, but not enough toliet paper, soap, water, etc. This brother went on to say that people in the ward would drop by pizzas, a few personal items, but it really made everyone think....could we do it?

I do have to make a run to the store tomorrow anyway and will add to my list a few extra rolls of t.p. and some water. I don't know if we would be one of the families picked if the Bishop decides to do this, but it really shouldn't be an issue if we were 'picked' or not. We have been told for years on end to get our food storage, finances and 72 hour kits in order. We may not always need them for a natural disaster, but what about job loss or illness? Mike and I are committed to doing better in this regard, but it is a process. We just need to keep it a priority! Could you do it?

3 comments:

Do anything you can afford said...

I was jusst reading the handout that came with the Ensign this month. It gives some good suggestions on how to get started. Before we left MO, we gave away all of our long term food storage but are trying to get some of the essentials back in place. Good luck. It's important!!

Hillary said...

Boy, I thought we were doing a good job since I went and got us about a 2 week supply after we received the August Ensign, we would be in big trouble if we had to go for a month. I guess we need to keep on working on it.

Unknown said...

Jill, After I read this I went and bought a whole lot of toilet paper and diapers! Our food storage is fine, but the paper goods were running low. Thanks for the reminder!