Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Power of Music

The other day as we were in the car running errands, I had Def Leppard in the cd player. One of those classic rocker ballads came on and Sydney said, 'This song makes me cry.' I asked her what was up and she said anytime music is soft and pretty, it makes her cry.
So, I never thought as Def Leppard as 'touching' music, but as I thought about her comment later, I understood where she's coming from. First, she's inherited the gene my Mom and I have that makes you cry at ANYTHING, but also that the power of music is an incredible thing.
Music has always been a part of my life. I have learned to enjoy all genres of music and can listen to almost anything and find something enjoyable in it. My parents were always (and still are) extremely involved in music for as long as I can remember. They met in Symphonic Choir!
On the wall in my living room, above the piano, I have vinyl lettering that says, 'Where words fail, music speaks'. I think this quote comes from Hans Christian Anderson. But, it really rings true to me. Music can touch your soul. Music can heal. Music can remind you of times long ago. There is music all around and I am so grateful my Father in Heaven gave us this wonderful gift.
And, I'm glad that my daughter can 'feel' this gift already in her young, precious age.

3 comments:

Roger Gibson said...

There is a girl in our ward who is Kate's age and when she was young whenever we sang a song in sacrament or when she'd hear any other soft song she would just loose it. Her mom always had to take her out until the song was over. She was much younger than Syd but it is funny how music affects us.

Jamie and Family said...

i love and agree with all that you said. that's cool that she is so sensitive to music.

and it tops the cake that she feels so tender about def leppard!! i love it!!!!!!!!!

def leppard touches my soul too Syd!!

Do anything you can afford said...

I've always felt that music can be a form of worship and helps our hearts come closer to the Savior. Thanks for sharing with us this special moment. Loves