Saturday, May 30, 2009

Just a thought about Jay Leno

Last night was Jay Leno's last night on The Tonight Show. I like Jay Leno. I watch when I can stay awake. He shares some mannerisms with a former boss of mine, Bart. I like Bart. He is a good guy. Bart's brother was also our Bishop. Those two brothers had the most opposite personalities, but Mike and I like both these men. Back to Jay.

As Jay was signing off and thanking people he said that he has been asked what he wants his legacy to be from The Tonight Show. He laughed and commented that he's just making jokes and it's hardly a legacy.

But as he thought about it, he started mentioning how many staff members had met and gotten married while working at The Tonight Show. He named them off and there were more than a handful.

Then, he brought out the first baby ever to be born to a staffer once he took over the show. She came out with cookies for him. He told the audience that she had made him cookies once a year since she was 4 years old. She is now 17 years old.

So, then he said that he wants his legacy to be this. That so many people met, fell in love, and had babies during his tenure. Open the stage curtains to reveal 68 children. He beamed as though he was their father. Even tickled one little toddler as he was running around the stage.

I thought to myself, I know he and his wife don't have children. I was always under the assumption that it was their choice, but I don't know the reason. I don't judge them for not having them. But I thought it was fascinating that here is a man, height of his career, all the fame and fortune one could ask for and yet, he wants people to remember all of the children that were associated with him during this time.

As I am trying to savor each moment with our children right now, I am constantly being reminded that family is the most important thing you do in life. Jay gets it. People on their death beds are saying they wish they spent more time with their families. Time goes so fast! I stumbled across some pictures this week as I was spring cleaning of Amanda as a 3 year old. Full of life and wonder for what lies ahead. Big brown eyes and a beautiful smile! She is almost 11 years old! I blinked and we are in the pre-teen years. And she is still beautiful!

Another picture was of Sydney as about a 1 and a half years old. Cute baby chubby with strawberry blonde curly hair. Bottle stuck in her mouth. How she loved that bottle! The baby chub is gone as well as the strawberry blonde hair, but our love for her keeps growing. As overwhelming as the days were with small children, I think I feel more overwhelmed now.

One more thing that touched me from Jay's show last night was that he said, 'I am leaving the dance with the same girl I came with 17 years ago' as he pointed out his wife sitting in the audience. Amazing in this day and age, especially for a Hollywood couple. (Sadly. amazing for a real-life couple).

I feel so blessed to be given my family! As I am reflecting a bit this morning, I just always knew I would have a family. But, as time goes on, I feel more and more appreciative of what my Father in Heaven has given me. Not only am I lucky with Michael and our amazing children, but I have fabulous parents and brothers, who also gave me fabulous sisters and nieces and nephews. I am so blessed to have wonderful in-laws and brothers-in-law, who also gave me more wonderful sisters-in-law and nieces and nephews. How does one girl get so lucky!?

3 comments:

Makell said...

Wow! I wished I would have seen his last show - that is not anything that I would have expected. How refreshing to have priorities again! Love your post deary.

d.r. gib said...

We watched that too, and I also thought it was neat that that is what he wanted to be remember for.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and we love you too!!

emily said...

Jill, I loved this! You said it all so Beautifully! We love your cute kiddos and so glad that we get to be right by you!!!