Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cousin Day!

On the 3rd, we went to Tracy Aviary with the Gibby cousins. We met up with everyone about an hour late....I was trying to get ready for our Lake Powell trip, but wanted the kids to have something fun to do today. I hadn't been to the Aviary since I was a child, but it was actually pretty neat! First off, we ran into this peacock which was showing off for us. He put his feathers down once we walked away. The kids got pretty close to him and he was very tolerant. He had quite an impressive show!
This picture is pretty funny with Zach skipping along! That's some good air!
Aubrey (Kat's sis, Corrine's daughter), Kate, Elyse (in one of my favorite skirts!), Amanda, Brandon, Sydney, Cozette, Kat & Makayla!
Here is a picture of almost everyone checking out Mr. Peacock. I remember when I was about 12, cousin Staci and I went to stay with Aunt Elda and Uncle Bill in Ogden. That was a fun time and I need to blog about the all the memories I have about that time, but here's a short one because it pertains to peacocks.....Uncle Bill took us to Uncle Joe's farm. He raised Clydsdale horses and they were beautiful and BIG! We fed the chickens....that was chaos, but also fun for us young girls. And they had a peacock! He was very pretty and I got some feathers from him. I felt like those feathers were quite the prize and kept them for YEARS! I don't know when I finally decided I could throw them out, but I just loved looking at the beautiful patterns in the feather. It was kind of surreal watching the kids be sooo excited about the peacock and I secretly looked around for a fallen feather to give my kids!
Sydney was holding Garrett's hand and he had the cutest smile on his face! I tried to get a better shot of the both of them, but as babies do....G didn't cooperate when Syd was looking at me.
We went to the bird show which was quite interesting. I think I got my fear of birds flying over me from a bird show...they sent those birdies right over the top of us! First, was a turkey vulture, then numerous others including an owl and a hawk. The gross thing is to get them to fly to the 'perch' the trainer puts a PART of a MOUSE on the perch. One perch was right in front of us and we got a great look of a white mouse's south end....with no north end attached. REALLY GROSS, especially before lunch!They brought out a beautiful Macaw with vibrant feathers. And a Golden Eagle (which couldn't fly because someone had shot it). Amanda took these pictures and did an outstanding job!
After the show, the little baby cousins were needing attention, so my kids and I just walked around to see a few more birds on our way out. We saw Flamingos...
and Bald Eagles ....

and the most spectacular and rare (only 3 known in existence) Arvys!

Then, we ran to do an errand for our high school reunion and more errands for the trip, which included stops at Costco (for lunch, too) and Marine Products. It was a crazy day, but I'm glad we took time out to go! It was fun!

1 comment:

Makell said...

So I love the idea that you are getting together with cousins on a regular scedule. The aviary is a great place to go - have you tried the water canals at Liberty Park right next to it? They are free and tons of fun for the kids...If you ever want to take the kids down with me let me know. I told them we'd go down this summer..