Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Although it was a wet and soggy Memorial Day, we had a great time being together. Mike and the kids always get up early on weekends and holidays, and today was no exception. I always try to sleep in a little, but I didn't get past 8:15am (sad face).
Mike decided that we needed to get out of the house and bought tickets to see the 'Narnia' movie. It was a good call, because it rained most of the day. The movie was good, but the little two didn't enjoy it all that much, although they did sit through the entire 2 hour plus show. Jim & Renae met us at the show and went to lunch with us at The Dodo! YUMMY!
The girls before the tri....

Then, we had to rush back home because the girls were participating in the Vista Kids Memorial Day Triathalon! Da-da-da-da! (Imagine trumpets blowing).
The Davis' did this last year with a few kids and this year it grew by about 30 kids! Our girls were so excited to do this! Mike had to miss it to stay home with Brandon who fell asleep on the way home from lunch. And, when I went to take pictures, I realized my memory card was still on the dresser at home. I had 2 back-up cards, but they only hold a few pictures each.

The kids went in age group 'heats'. Amanda did really well on the swim and was 3rd out of the pool. We wasted a lot of time in transition with putting on shoes. She did great on the bike, even though the 'bag' accessory was hitting her legs the entire time. She started out great on the run, but lost energy pretty fast after that.
She walked for awhile, but managed to gear up and run over the finish line.

Amanda is first on the left in this picture. She's in 5th place in this picture, but finished 3rd. They did four laps....


Sydney did great on the swim. She even did a lap more than she needed to. She did great on the bike ride and also ran really fast (Wow!)! Sydney's age group did a much shorter course, but it was just right for Sydney.
The kids were all so proud of themselves.

Dad and I are so proud of our girls!

We stayed after even though it was cold and windy while the kids played in the pool. We had planned for a bbq with Francis' who had to cancel last minute, so the girls and I stayed at the Davis'. Luckily, a couple of friends took pity on the girls and fed them a hot dog (since I didn't bring food-we were late getting there anyway-no time to think about bringing food). The girls didn't want to leave because they were having such a great time. A lot of people were asking about Mike and so we decided to go home and check. B had just awaken and they were debating about coming over.

The girls after the tri....do they look a little more tired? And cold? It was about 55 degrees and windy!

Afterward, I ran to the grocery store, Mike ran to pick up sushi with Brandon and the girls took their baths and played on the computer.

Finally, when I was downloading the back-up memory cards, I found some pictures from 2 Christmases ago. Look at our cute kids! I asked Mike if we can have another baby because they are so cute when they are little and he said....I can...with my next husband.

6 comments:

Staci said...

What a fun idea for the kids! I should have come up and competed! I'm getting a bit nervous for my Spudman!
Looks like a great day!

Hillary said...

What a fun day! When Steve told me you guys were at the Dodo my mouth started watering. You're girls are awesome for doing that Tri, what an accomplishment!

Sounds like it was a good day!

Alisa said...

What a fun idea of a kids tri! I bet they loved that, especially when it's another way they can be like Dad! Brrr! Cold day to have it- although Memorial day sure sounds like a safe time temperature wise to have it! Good job, Amanda and Sydney!

Evan and Jamie said...

Looks like you had such a fun day! The kids are so cute! Way to go on the triathalon!! Love you guys!!

d.r. gib said...

They are so tough! They probably would have beat me in the triathlon. We should try that. I am surprised Mike wasn't racing along side of them.

Makell said...

Oh - that was a good comeback from Mikey about having more kids! The tri is a great idea- can I race in it? It looks like something I could handle right now...I think I could totally take the 6 year olds..
btw - I lOVE the DODO and haven't been in a couple of years or so- I say we get sitters and go out there this summer -Let's plan it :)