Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Favorite Things....

Not the song, but actually my favorite things. I was thinking today that I'm finding it hard to feel the Christmas Spirit this year. It's overly busy....like not even a moment to put a load of laundry in the washer, let alone dry and fold. Mike is once again stressed at work. This happens a lot this time of year for him. He came home tonight and told me that he's not enjoying the Christmas season, either. It made me wonder what we are missing?

We've tried all the usual traditions with our kids. We've attended parties, church and seen the lights on Temple Square. We've decorated the house top to bottom (well, except for the last strand of lights on the outside and the one tree without lights). We've listened to Christmas music and sent out cards. We've Sub-for-Santa'd and taught our children the true meaning of Christmas.

So, today, as our whole little family has had some hurt feelings by others in our life, I decided to write down some of the things I enjoy about this time of the year.

1. My wonderfully beautiful perfect-for-me family: And the realization that when all is said and done, it's really all about my wonderful hubby and these beautiful children who were sent to us.

I'm so grateful that I was chosen by them to go through this life together.

2. Our parents and siblings: We really do have the greatest families! Mike and I both feel blessed that we married into such great supportive and loving families.

3. Snow: I love having snow for Christmas! It's hard for me to imagine or enjoy the season without snow. I know....shallow, but I need the atmosphere!

4. Christmas movies: From 'It's a Wonderful Life' to 'A Christmas Carol' to 'Elf' to 'A Christmas Story. I love to snuggle up and watch a good flick.

5. Christmas decorations: I love the lights on when the house lights are off. I love how Mike and I enjoy finding a new addition to our decorations every year.

6. I love to see our childrens excitement about Christmas. It's fun to surprise them with that wanted gift. And I love to spend time at the grandparent's houses on Christmas Day with all the cousins and the chaos. It wouldn't be Christmas without it (like I said....I need atmosphere.)

7. My Savior: What a humble beginning, so simple. Yet He did the most important thing for me....

So, there is the short list. And I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for hearing my prayers.

Each time we struggle, there is a little something that helps keep us strong...Love.

As I was blog-stalking tonight, I had tears as I read this paragraph. I realized that no matter how someone else may hurt our feelings, we can be an influence for good. We can rise above the problems and grow stronger.

......we both laughed. And I went on my way, shaking my head at this chance meeting, which couldn’t have been chance. I thought about how ideas come, out of the blue. How one thing leads to another, how things come together. I pictured myself giving this man a copy of my book when it was finished, and giving Eric a copy. I thought about how these two men’s lives and choices had played an important part in a stranger’s story–mine. How my story was nothing but a series of relationships, big and small, weaving a fabric of meaning. And how my story might play a role in someone else’s. A stranger’s, a friend’s.
Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Hey Cuz! Why is it that you always have just the right thing to say? Your entry today is beautiful! Kevin and I often talk about how much we love and admire you and Mike! You both have the kindest and most loving hearts. The light of our Heavenly Father truly radiates from you and your cute family. Thanks for being such a wonderful example! And for being such a darling cousin and friend! I love you!

Hillary said...

What a great list! I am glad you posted this, did it help? I know mine helped me, so I hope you're feeling better. I love the big nutcracker in the pic or your Christmas decorations, how fun!
Merry Christmas!!!