Thursday, March 5, 2009

Just doing our part to stimulate the economy

Or at least that's how it feels! Not that I'm complaining because I know a million more people who have illnesses or issues worse than the Kville Arvy's, but I just have to laugh as I sit here and think about our past month and visits to the doctor.

It all started when Brandon first went to the doctor 4 weeks ago with double ear infections. Poor kid! We didn't take him right in, but he was having such a hard time going to school and just wanted to lay around, so finally I took him in. You would think at age 3, he would have told me his ears hurt. I think I was more tuned into his ear infections when he was a baby (of course, they came more frequently so I was in that mode), and the only sign was cranky and pulling on his ears. So, $20 co-pay, plus a prescription, plus a little treat for the sick one. Then, the antibiotic isn't working, we deal with weekend on-call doctors for 2 days and then finally get another prescription..$10.
Then, two weeks later, Sydney comes down with something. We wait it out a little (I think this waiting time comes after you have been a Mom for awhile. When you are a new Mom, you go to the doc for every sniffle!). She's not getting better and so I take her to a KidsCare (by the way, I HATE waiting at any doctor's appointment...I'm pretty patient, but don't think I should have to wait an hour for a scheduled appointment!). As we are waiting in the waiting room, she breaks out in a horrible rash all over her body! Finally, they call us in, do a strep test and she is positive! Another $20 co-pay, plus prescription, plus a little treat for the sick one.
A week later, Brandon not acting normal again. Says he can use his legs because they hurt. His tummy hurts, his head hurts, but not his throat. Take him in....he has strep. Doctor decides to give him the antibiotic shot since we just did the whole oral med thing. He HATES shots. Get a little treat for the sick one, plus $20 co-pay.

A week later, Jill gets a bump on my eye that puffs up so I can't wear my contacts! Not a good thing! Eye doctor visit, three days in glasses, antibiotic drops, $20 co-pay, another hour of waiting in doctor's office, and prescription $10. My treat was a diet Coke.
This week, Mike having dizzy spells....sent him to the doctor who does a bunch of tests. No result yet, but $20 co-pay and a follow-up appointment on its way. Don't think he got a treat for being sick. This week, Brandon once again not acting normal. I have to drag him out the door because his legs won't work, put him in the car, give him ibuprofen and send him to school! Later, decide we should check ears. Take him to an ExpressCare, ear infection, minor bronchitis, pay $40-hoping to get reimbursed by insurance (except for $20 for co-pay), another prescription (this time a new antibiotic that tastes terrible) $10....little treat for the sick one.


This morning, Sydney wakes up with a barking cough and sore throat! Not taking her to the doctor today. Not giving a treat for being sick!
The only one in our family who has escaped illness this winter is Amanda! And she has been doing everything she can to get sick so she can stay home from school, including, but not limited to, drinking from the same cup as sick siblings and having them breathe on her!

Enjoy it, Amanda! You win for having the BEST immune system in our family!!! Yea!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh man you've had a rough winter! Hang in there...spring is coming!!!

Do anything you can afford said...

Maybe the snow washed the air and got rid of some of the germs. Here's hoping.
See you soon.

d.r. gib said...

OMG!!! I am sorry you guys! The doctors are loving you guys right now. Good luck and tell Syd to feel better!

Hillary said...

How is everyone feeling now? What did Mike find out with his tests? I hope he's alright! This economy sure is stressful!

Makell said...

Holy Shmoly! When it rains it pours I guess. I wonder if Mike's dizzy spells have anything to do with being weak in the knees for his BFF's. They are such juveniles!