Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Mom, You are 40 now!"

I awoke on my birthday to those 5 words. Not a good way to start your 40th birthday. In fact, the kids were so excited about telling me that I was 40, that I was pretty grumpy! But, trying to be a good mom, I just laughed and said you are right......I'm old. Then, they gave me a gift card to a day spa. Ahhhhh.......can't wait!


They also gave me a card that said, "Holy &@#% you are 40!" More fun. Then, with glee, they ran with Daddy outside to put up these signs. It was actually pretty funny and a little reminder what my family had done for me as I heard honking all day long! This made up for the hijacking Mike did of my Facebook account for the previous 2 weeks. There was a running countdown on how many days before I turned 40. And always a comment from my younger husband saying he was only 39. I was surprised at how many friends said they thought I was really counting down. I tried changing the password, but he knew how to change it back! He's good.
So, I had a little cry in the bathroom about getting old, and then moved on with my day. I taught a group piano lesson and then headed to Nicole's to get my hair done! I was so happy to have good hair on my 40th birthday! No grey!!!

My birthday sister-friend, Elise and I then headed out for lunch and shopping. She's not 40. She's younger. We tried to get pedicures, but couldn't get in until 5pm. She couldn't do it at 5pm....and later I would find out why I couldn't do it at 5pm, either.

After getting home, and getting the kids settled again, Mike arrived home and said we were going to dinner. I could tell something was up because Mike & the girls were saying things like, 'did you lock ALL the doors?' etc. but couldn't figure it out. Then, the girls started fighting in the car about where we should eat. I kept saying, it's my birthday, shouldn't I get to choose? And also, kept asking Mike why he wasn't yelling at the kids for fighting.....should have caught on here, but I didn't.....I'm old. My mind isn't very sharp.



We decided to go to Roosters. We walked in and I told the hostess there were 5 of us for dinner. Mike chimed in and said, 'We're actually with this party back there' pointing to the back room! I could see the back of my brother, but no one else when we walked into the party room. Then, there was singing! 'Happy Birthday to you' and lots of hugs and I processed what had happened! Mike & the kids got me.



Emily & Scott Harwood



Rachel & Rick Orison



James & Holly Hollingsworth



Chris & Natalie Morgan



Darin & Elise Jensen



Dad & Mom

They kept a secret for 2 months! The girls! Kept a secret for 2 months! Our friends and family that I had been hanging out with for 2 months had kept a secret! I was clueless! Surprised! And happy! Never thought I would like a surprise party, but this was fun! Everyone was so good today. Friends came and visited. Parents called to wish me a good day. Just like normal. Never letting on that we would be together later that evening!

Really yummy food and fun conversation. Mike even got a huge Backer's cake! Thanks to Rachel and her Mom who picked it up in Salt Lake and drove it up to Kaysville!

Nicole & Elise also helping him by getting balloons.



Dan & Stacie, Roger & Cozette, Darin & Kat, and Staci Medina all made the trek up from Salt Lake. Mike's parents came a little later. His grandma is sick and in the hospital, so they were taking care of her. Casey Francis.....

I had a great time! Mike was so great and did so much to make this birthday memorable! It really was a lot of fun! It made me ever more grateful for the wonderful husband I have, the adorable fun children and my great family and friends! I'm one lucky 40 year old girl!

5 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh, how sweet!!! What a great husband and kiddos you have to plan something so wonderful! (I did my fair share of honking as I passed your house...) :) I'm glad you had such a wonderful day. (Sorry you cried. Don't worry....so many of us are already or almost there with you!) Love you!

d.r. gib said...

We had a great time! Thanks for having a birthday so we could eat yummy food!

Cath said...

Holy Cow Jill! What an awesome surprise! (Way to go Mike!) Looks like you have such great friends up there! And - you look beautiful!! (Fresh color does help to make you feel good, doesn't it? I would know!) I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday! Happy 40th! I think the honk signs were my favorite! Love you!

Alisa said...

Jill- that is such a cute picture of you! I love the one you posted under the "honk" signs! You are beautiful!

Makell said...

Jill!!! I can't believe I didn't get word that it was your 40th!! Happy (late) birthday - Mike pulled off a good one for you. I may have to have him help me with Kerry's this year...