Saturday, February 3, 2007

Guam! Etc.

Holy Cow! My youngest brother, Evan just joined the Air Force. Today, my Mom called to tell me he got his orders of where he'll be stationed. GUAM! I never saw that one coming. When he and his wife, Jamie, told us they were joining the military they were excited to travel....well, this is definately travel! When Evan was in junior high school, he and my parents moved to Missouri. They lived there 9 years and while there, he met Jamie and got married. He and Jamie came to Utah for awhile (after my parents moved back), but didn't like it much and moved back to MO. We see them a couple times a year and miss them and their little girl, Carsyn, so much! I'm thinking, now we will see them even less! They are expecting a little boy in March. I'm hoping we get to see him before they leave. Good thing is that we can meet them in Hawaii when he's on leave! That's not a bad deal! My Mom sounds really nervous, but she's glad he's not going to Iraq or Afghanistan. Amen to that. Evan served his mission in California, so this will be the first experience he'll have of being out of the country. I'm still trying to take it all in.

My piano recital went fabulous! All the kids were well prepared and we zipped through that recital in 40 minutes! Their parents were pleased and my parents thought things went really well. As Mike and I were talking on the way to the recital, he mentioned that he hated practicing and only wanted to play basketball when he was younger and in piano lessons. He says now that he would love to play the piano more than play basketball! That's the neat thing about piano or any instrument. You can take it with you your whole life. It doesn't matter how old you are when you start. You can always improve and it doesn't hurt your knees when you play! I am a little overwhelmed at how many students I have right now, but it is a great experience to be able to teach and hopefully help the kids love to play.
Mike and his buddies are in St. George golfing! I am so jealous because it has been soooo cold here! He said it feels like summer down there. So, my friend whose hubby is in S.G. with Mike, called and asked us to go to the Jordan World Circus with them last night. I have to say, we went to Barnum & Bailey's Circus last year and was not impressed at all! I don't expect much from a circus, but it was boring! This circus was actually fun! The kids LOVED it and their only disappointment was that we didn't let them ride the elephant! At $7 per kid...it wasn't happening! That, and the fact that I didn't have any cash. I was digging through my purse to come up with the $16 cash to get in! I was 30 cents short, but the gal let me in! Now, I'm not pleading poverty, it was just that they didn't take debit cards and I didn't have the checkbook. I thought it must have looked so pathetic to everyone around....but hey! No one offered to give me 30 cents! The funniest part is when the ringmaster did commercials for all the concessions! It was so blatant: "Kids raise your hand if you want the light up gladiator sword and tell your parents!" I guess they are banking on the fact that we are an indulgent generation that doesn't say no to their kids! But, I don't have that problem~and neither does my friend. We would just look at each other and laugh! We ended up having Eva sleep over and the girls are just loving it!

No comments: