Saturday, October 29, 2011

Myrtle Beach - shop and relax


I had the next morning to myself. I hadn't heard from the other ladies, so I headed to the beach. I stopped in the gift shop for a yummy carrot raisin muffin and headed out to the sand.  It isn't very often that I get to hang out by myself with nothing to do! I get to hang out by myself quite a bit, but I'm always on an errand or trying to clean the house.  
This morning was completely relaxing and I enjoyed every minute! 
 I decided I really like the ocean. I'm not a beach-type person.  I won't just lay on the beach all day or stay by the pool and read a book. It's just not me.  But I love walking on the beach and letting the waves come up and kiss my toes before they retreat back into mother ocean.
 I love to watch the waves roll.  Every time it is different.  It never follows the same path.  

 The beauty of this world is incredible and amazing! It wasn't contained in one area and it isn't the same everywhere you go.  The possibilities of finding beauty are everywhere, whether it be in something huge like the ocean, or something small like this butterfly or even smaller, like the eyelashes on a child.
I talked to my Mom while I was on the beach, too.  I had to call her and let her know that the doc's office called with results of my blood test and I don't have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  That was a relief, but they still don't really know what's wrong with my knees.  Must be a little arthritis because of the swelling, is all they say.

I started back the hotel after talking with my Mom.  As I was walking, I saw a cute little old man and a woman walking on the beach.  He had a cane and was hesitant in his steps.  As I got closer, I saw the man spin the lady and realized they were dancing! Cutest thing ever!
I stopped as I neared them and said, "How cute are you, two?"
The little old man, who was wearing a 'Veteran' baseball cap, told me that he had served in three wars.  He told me he was 92 years old.  
He asked me if I thought he was 92 years old and I told him, 'No! Not at all!" 
That was the truth.  
He was so full of life and had a contagious personality.  He wife was just as darling and happy!
I hope Mikey and I dance on the beach when we are 92 years old!

I tried to sit by the pool and read a book after getting back to the hotel, but that lasted about 10 minutes. Like I said, it's just not me.  I like to read, but when I'm in a new place, I would rather explore.



I did talk to Tyra and Judy after I returned to my hotel room. They were both laying on the beach that morning. I don't know how we didn't see each other.  But, we decided to meet downstairs and have lunch by the pool.  That was fun.

Then we got dressed and went shopping.  There was an area called Broadway at the Beach with some fun shops and this building was like an arcade.



Even though I don't like this picture of myself, I wanted to post it because it is of the three of us.  Judy and Tyra and then me:  Shopping partners.

I think it must have been that evening that was the closing night.  It was a yummy surf and turf dinner: filet and lobster tail.  Wow! Best food of the whole trip!  The best part-the sponsors were giving away iPads and I won one! Awesome!

I keep trying to tell the kids and Mike that it's mine.  They can use the one we bought, but no one is agreeing with me.  Oh well, it was fun to win. Mike and I usually don't win anything!

More to come on our Myrtle Beach trip: Mike and I headed out on our own to explore Charleston and a quick trip to see his favorite golf course: Calendonia.  Also, Amanda's birthday recap that Mike and I miss again this year because we were on  this trip.....

2 comments:

Heidi Green said...

Your trip looks so fun!! Congrats on the I-pad, holy cow that rocks! I love how you put little details in this post (like the cute old couple), it's fun to hear about random stuff like that. However, I cannot believe you are not a beach person!! The last vacation Matt and I went on we laid by the beach and read almost the entire time and we both agreed it was heaven! You must have more energy than me. Oh, and how cool is that arcade building?! Did you go inside? I'm glad you don't have RA but regular arthritis is no fun either. With your happy attitude you'd never know you're in pain.

Jill said...

You are so sweet, Heidi! And I know for sure it isn't energy that makes me not want to lay on the beach and read....I have no energy lately! I do need to learn to relax a little better, huh! We didn't go in the arcade building....it was a pretty far walk, even though it looks close....too far away from the shops :)