Thursday, August 12, 2010

A good lesson learned....

I have many posts written in my head, but we are having computer disk space problems, so I can't download any pictures. As soon as we resolve this issue, I'll update.

I decided to write about the lessons our girls have learned this summer. They have learned to serve others and to be responsible. I want them to be able to read this later and reflect on what they learned during this time.
Amanda has been tending a brand-new baby for a family down the street. The mom went back to work part-time as they await their house being sold, and then she can stay home full-time. Although Amanda gets paid, I believe she has learned a lesson about serving and being responsible. First, she is there a long time....from 7:15 am to about 2-2:30pm. That's a really long time for an 11 year old during the summer. Especially one that wants to sleep in past 7am! She doesn't even get up that early during the school year! But, through this, she has learned to serve this little baby and this family. She cares for little Ella and loves her. Amanda has always been responsible, but I believe she has learned even more responsibility. The mom has told me how much she has loved having Amanda care for her newborn and doesn't know what she will do when school starts again.
Sydney has been helping our cute friends across the street most of the summer. They just had twins in June. They also have a not-quite-two year old. Sydney has been going over about once a day to play with Drake so Natalie can feed her twins. Sydney has always loved babies and little kids, so the fact that she gets to go help is more fun for her than an act of service. When she first started, we talked to her about not accepting any payment. She needed to help our friends and learn to enjoy service. She completely agreed.....which made me so proud of her. Now, Natalie has told me she has appreciated Sydney's help and since she reads my blog, I'm going to say that 'You are still in trouble for giving Sydney the gift card, but you made her day!" She was so surprised because she knew in her mind that it didn't matter if she received anything in return for her playing with Drake. You should have seen her shopping and getting exactly what she wanted because she could pay for it with her gift card.
Mike and I have always tried to show our kids how to work, how to give service and how to be responsible, but sometimes we have to see how they respond outside our family to show they have really learned. We feel like both our girls have learned more responsibility and to love serving others. Plus, they have both been a good example to me.
Dad and I are so proud of you girls and we love you!

3 comments:

Natty said...

We LOVE Sydney! I hope you aren't mad at us for long for the gift card because she has saved me these last few weeks! Drake asked for her all morning today! We are going to miss her when she goes back to school. Thanks for all of your help and phone calls, Jill. You are the best and your kiddos have definitely learned to serve from you.

Jill said...

Nat, we could never be mad at you! I'm so glad that Sydney could hang out with you! You're the best!

Makell said...

You've got awesome girls -and you're a good mom. It kinda goes together...:)