Monday, November 16, 2009

Gratitude

I have been thinking lately, that I am really, really enjoying being a mom and a wife right now! I'm finding joy in the mundane tasks. I'm finding happiness in having my children need me, but not be completely dependent on me. Don't get me wrong. I loved having little babies, but it was hard. I didn't do well without sleep. I didn't do well keeping patient. I didn't enjoy the little things when I should. I didn't do well without a little break now and then.

But, I have turned over a new leaf! I love the little things of each day. I love ironing Mike's shirts for him (ok...maybe not the ironing part, but I enjoy knowing that I'm taking care of him). I'm enjoying making food for my family. Again, something I wasn't really good at for a lot of years (I was great at 'going out to dinner'), but I'm really enjoying making dinner, etc. I guess I don't enjoy when the kids tell me they don't like what I made. This happens every night. I think it's an automatic response. They really do eat what I make most nights.

I enjoy hanging out at home with my family! I don't have that nagging need to go somewhere anymore. I'm enjoying chats with my friends. I don't feel like I need to be the center of attention or to be heard. I love to just listen to what is going on in their lives.

I love that my kids bugged me until I put up our 'Give Thanks' on the back door, so we can write down all the things we are grateful for. I love to read what the girls write down. I know these are random thoughts. But I wanted to write down how I've been feeling lately. Is this what happens when you get old? Contentment? All I know is I'm feeling pretty great!

3 comments:

Do anything you can afford said...

It's nice to hear about your thoughts of gratitude. I'm grateful, too, to be where I am at this time. I wish you were closer, though. I would like to drop in more often. I enjoyed the program on Sunday and your lesson was super. Teaching that many girls is a challenge and you did a great job. LOL

Roger Gibson said...

Okay - Evelyn's last post was really similar to this one. Wierd. . . but nice! I've also really been trying to be more focused on those 'little things' that I'm so lucky to be doing for my family. I DO think it's easier to feel that way when they are a little more independent. But, I know one day I will be the last person they want to be around or hang out with.

Cath said...

This is sweet Jill. Well put. I like how life settles us over time. Or we settle ourselves. Or the two just start to mesh better. We stop pushing back and let be. I have more of that to work on. Thanks for your lovely thoughts.